Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Another Year, Another Race

Last year was a year of celebration for Mayra and me. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and also walked a half-marathon for the first time. Not just any marathon but the Team Challenge Half Marathon to raise money in the fight to find a cure for Crohn’s and Colitis.

Walking the half-marathon last year was such an uplifting experience. It was an inspiring experience to be around a group of individuals afflicted with the disease or offering support to a friend or loved one with the disease. It was such a wonderful experience we decided to do it again and this time our son and his girlfriend are joining us!

Why do it again? I do it as I reminder I am in control of my life not this disease; I do it to be an example for my wife and my son to never let challenges prevent you from pursuing your dreams; I do it for others afflicted with Crohn’s, Colitis or any other debilitating disease who struggle with their illness and need a ray of hope that they too can lead a full life in spite of their situation; but most importantly, I do it for the glory of God because in the end that is all that matters.

Since my diagnosis of Crohn’s in 1999, I have had an up and own experience dealing with the disease. In total, I have lost close to 30 inches of my intestines, withered in weight to less than 125 pounds (I am 6’2”) and was so anemic I was literally a walking heart attack. But by the grace of God I was able to get tremendous care supplemented by prayer and a loving and supportive wife and son and I am now able to resume my life with vigor.

Crohn’s and Colitis is a disease which affects close to 1.5 million people. It is a silent disease because it involves your digestive tract. Crohn’s can affect a person from the time food enters his body until it is removed. Colitis typically affects the lower portion of the digestive tract. In both cases, there is no known cause or cure for the disease. This makes treatment difficult because unlike cancer, there isn’t a standard routine which has proven successful. Each individual afflicted must work with their medical team to determine a treatment which works best them. For me it entailed three surgeries, the loss of a significant portion of my digestive tract, and a lot of uncertainty for the future.

That is why raising money for research is so important so we find a treatment which can at best cure the diseases or identify a workable treatment regimen.

We know the economy is tough and we do not take this request for granted. Any amount you can donate is greatly appreciated. We will even take your loose change off of your hands. If you want to keep track of our efforts, you can follow me on Facebook or you can stay posted by subscribing to my blog.

I will provide regular updates as the training progresses.




No comments: